Seizedpost
Bench vise user

Bikes: 2004 Orbea Marmaloda, 1982 S12-S LTD, 1956? Maino, 1985 Sagres

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
15 speed Schwinn Mirada

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but it is a mid to late 80s bike. (Edit: found the date code. It's a 1986.)
I found this Schwinn in someone's garbage can a year or so ago, and they said I could take it. It seemed mostly original except for having Specialized Nimbus tires.
I didn't do much to it for a while, other than doing a basic tune-up, cleaning up some of the rusted chrome, and adding a water bottle holder.
I was riding it around this summer and I decided it was time to do some serious maintenance (though it still rode fine.) First I rebuilt the rear hub. I discovered that it's got a freewheel and not a casette, and I had to go to the LBS to figure out what the right tool was. (They were very helpful.)
Not too long afterwards I rebuilt the front hub.
Today I took the bike apart fully. I have a full set of Velo Orange colored cables on the way. I bought them mainly for looks, the old cables are spiral wound (including the shifter cables, shifters are non-indexing) with a transparent plastic coating. In photos the Velo Orange cables look pretty similar.
While the bike is apart I am also planning to either rebuild or replace the bottom bracket and coat the inside of the frame with Frame Saver. It looks like there's some rust in it and I want to keep it from becoming a problem, especially as the most convenient place for me to store this bike is in a shed.
I had a tough time getting the non-drive side crank arm off. I had noticed before that the dust cap on that side was crooked. It turns out that's because the threads for the crank puller are messed up. I had a tough time getting that side off. Maybe I should try using this to clean them up:
Amazon.com : Bicycle Research Crank Arm Thread Chaser, TC-8 : Bike Cranksets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors
Here's a recent photo. I have some from when I first got it, and I'll take more once it's back together with new cables.

Last edited by Seizedpost; 07-30-15 at 08:01 AM.