View Single Post
Old 07-28-15, 08:38 PM
night mission

Bikes: Lotus Challenger SX, Bianchi Intenso 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad I found this discussion I recently added a "new" bike to my stable with included Shimano A530 pedals.
I have only recently added clip less pedals to my "classic" which I bought at a LBS along with shoes. The are similar to the A530's but are not Shimano. The LBS added the cleats to the shoes and I went home and a put the pedals on the bike. Thankfully, I tried the pedal on the shoe while still off the bike and learned about the tension adjustment before learning on the bike . All went reasonably well and I have learned how to clip in and (most importantly) how to get out. Back to the new bike/clips. I thought the adjustment was correct on the Shimano's but soon found I was having issues getting out of the clips. Made a roadside adjustment and thought all was well but still have various issues getting out. I was so spooked about getting out of the clips I deliberately did not use the clips getting home off this (first major) ride on this bike.
Had I LBS adjust the tension on the A350 and set me on my way. Tried clipping in and unclipping several times at home prior to my ride and than headed out only to find that I could not (!!!!!) get out of the clip. Not good. Too old to be falling off bikes even if its at no speed.

So my question. My clips on my shoes are not Shimano but are the same type. could this be the issue?? I have lost confidence in the A530 I have. I believe they where getting tighter as I (practiced) clipping in and out at home. The old knockoff clips are back on and my next ride I expect to have no issues with clips. Does anyone else have experience with A530's that are negative? I'm thinking of going with a double sided Shimano clip, but have definitely become wary of this clip from recent experience.