View Single Post
Old 11-13-05, 09:08 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Headed up to Charlottesville to visit my folks. After a moment's consideration, I decided to toss a bike up atop the car and head out for a ride if the weather was good. The decision came down to the Bridgestone RB2 and the 1972 PX10. For whatever reason-- possibly because I've been riding almost nothing but the 72 and 73 PXs the last couple weeks, I stuck the Bridgestone on the thule and headed up.

Sunday was bright and beautiful, though I felt like crap. Decided on a leisurely country tour. A big chunk of it was on this hard-packed dirt road, and I was glad a brought the RB2, with it's marginally wider tires. Riding through an alley of trees, undisturbed by cars, the occasional farm interupting the woods, a glorious day. Saw a few walkers, then a couple of folks on MTBs who looked at my roadie in wonder.

The dirt turned back into Pave, and I headed out to Free Union and beyond, riding towards the Blue Ridge. Again I was glad I brought the RB2, as the tight freewheel and 52/45 chainrings on the PX would have made the hills a bit tougher. Made 'em up all no problem, but where I use 4-5 gear combos around relatively flat Richmond, I think I used eleven today (out of 14). Ran into a pack of local roadies, outfitted in bright colors and riding CF bling bling; gave 'em a happy wave as I passed by... okay, they were stopped...

Great ride, best I've had in months, wound up feeling like a million bucks. Think I'll ride it again in the Spring, maybe once more in the winter.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!