Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Yes, why can't I buy a custom Lamborghini without seats? I just have to have the sheep skin covered seats from the old run-down Honda!!!!

I suppose I would find it disturbing to go into a bike shop and be told that my $2000 bike came without a seat. And, I could test ride it if I wanted to, but I can never sit down while riding (oh, and I can't pedal either).

Personally I will ride just about any seat. Nothing is perfect, nothing is too bad. But an alternative might be to put a $100 "seat credit" as part of the price of the bike. But then it gets confusing if one only wants a $30 seat.

I bought a used Bike Friday recently. It had cheap plastic pedals on it. I asked the seller about it, and he said that he had taken the clipless pedals off and thrown those on for a test ride. We had to disassemble the bike for transport, so I told him to just keep his pedals. Perhaps they'll go on the next bike he sells.
I don't want the stock bike seat at all; I'll be using an Adamo or SLR Superflow. I won't be using their narrow wheels. I won't be using their cassette, and I'd prefer Q-rings. What's unreasonable about that?

I'm sure Lamborghini would be happy to sell a car without seats if I wanted to put in racing seats. Again, my point there was more about the meaningless bundling (can't get leather without nav, or vice versa) or the junky tires that came on, for example, my ex's Fit, and had to be swapped immediately. Those are certainly frustrating situations.