Old 07-29-15, 07:42 PM
Wesley36

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
Happy to have found this thread. I've been riding seriously for two years now (almost to the day). I started with the Trek and liked riding so much I bought a Fuji Roubaix 1.0. I've been using a Kurt Kinetic inside a lot but just got a Power2Max FSA gossamer for the Fuji. I'm 73 and an engineer by trade so I couldn't resist playing with power, plus at my age I want to keep track of my condition.

Anyway..I've gone through the usual books on power and cycling after fifty. They are fine if you are into racing; I am not. The problem is the methods they list for finding your FTP all involve what is, for a septuagenarian not only impractical but downright dangerous; at least for me. Is there any other way of coming up with a 'good enough' FTP for geezers? I've estimated a number but have no idea how close I am to what it really is. Frankly I'm more interested in the changes than a precise value for FTP. Nevertheless I'd at least like to arrive at a reasonable ball park figure.

Thanks, Rich
Golden Cheetah uses a Critical Power model where FTP is more or less CP60, as you upload files it will calculate a modelled cp and cp curve that should be in the rough ballpark.
As I understand it, WKO4 models FTP in an analogous manner