Old 07-30-15, 01:09 AM
Shahmatt

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Batavus View Post
Take the shield off and examine it. You cannot leave it out as it also acts as a sprocket spacer. If you leave it out the sprocket cannot be fasten securely with the clip. It will have some play, eventually destroying the sprocket driver notches.

I would take the hub apart, at least as far as removing the inner assembly from the shell and see if it is severely gunked up. You need to verify if anything is damaged/worn beyond repair.
Noted about the shield. Though I did come across a youtube video where a larger sprocket with shield is replaced with a 14T sprocket without. Not really sure how that works. I'll post it up if I find it again.

If I remove the inner assembly would I need to worry about spilling/losing grease? I do not have any of that Shimano recommended grease on me. I only have some generic stuff that's red colour that a local LBS gave me for real cheap.

Given that the wheel spun pretty easily minus reinstalling the shield, sprocket and gear cassette mechanism, would not the problem be something to do with these items instead of the internals?