Old 07-31-15, 09:16 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bigcicero
I'm just shy of 6', but I have a pretty short inseam of 31". That means I have a long torso, and I also have long arms. It makes attaining an ideal fit a little hard for me. My first bike was a 54 Caad10, but I think the LBS put me into a size that is much too small b/c they did it based on standover height. Even with a 130mm stem, I feel uncomfortable, and I fatigue after like 20 miles of riding like that. My subsequent rides on bigger bikes has confirmed this.

This is why I'm trying both sizes of Tarmac and why the 58 seems like it fits. The 56 Tarmac feels a little sportier, naturally b/c it's a smaller frame, but the 58 somehow feels more luxurious. Still, I'm a little nervous and the LBS person who was helping me seemed to be ever-so-slightly uncertain.

I didn't try an S because I didn't see myself in an aero bike and thought it would be overkill for casual rides. But I DO love to push my speed and might actually enjoy it a lot. Thanks for the tip, I may go back and try it.

I have to say though that I really enjoyed the Tarmac and would love to get it, but only if I knew for sure that I could dial in a good fit for long rides. I'm nervous to plunk down $$$ without feeling that self-confidence and assurance!
As to 58 Tarmac, all depends on standover. If you can standover the bike, it will suit your long torso and long arms. Will low seat height relative to the height of the top tube, you can slam the stem for an aggressive fit if you choose. So I believe its a good choice...or a 56 with 130-140mm stem.