View Single Post
Old 07-31-15, 04:22 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor, Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I used clipless pedals for several years but switched to spiked platforms and regular shoes. I find no difference in the efficiency and the platforms are much more convenient and comfortable. It's much better on all day rides and multi day tours when a clipless pedal created a lot of "hotfoot" problems which are much less severe with the platforms.
Marc
+1
I don't know what you've heard or who from but there are several detailed scientific studies that show conclusively that there is NO mechanical advantage whatsoever to clipless pedals for non-elite riders. There is a slight argument for a small mechanical advantage in limited circumstances for very elite riders (think professionals).

the other big advantage not mentioned directly by Irwin is that you can walk around which you cannot with road shoes and cleats. You can with MTB style cleats although you still can slip on the metal cleats occasionally.