Old 07-31-15, 06:39 PM
DHRB45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
From my own experience, and observations of some really fast masters guys, I think you need to seriously consider what your focus will be. Your age group is still very competitive and I think you either need to focus on sprinting, or just be happy to be a fast all rounder. That would still allow you to be a fast sprinter, but when you come up against the pure sprint guys, you will likely be smoked, especially at the worlds. Basically the fast sprint guys only do sprinting. A long ride for them is a keirin, and a few of them don't even do those.

As for the other stuff to do with the specific exercises, I think it's far too early in your journey to worry about those. As eluded to above, the racers you see doing those exercises are doing them after many years of development in an effort to eek out hundredths of a second. Stick to the basics to build a good base from which you can tweak at a later point.

Finally on the topic of the pedalling and pulling up, there is definitely a benefit to incorporating your hip flexors and hamstrings into the movement. But the benefit to these that I can feel is in full gas standing starts, where you can definitely feel the added benefit of engaging these muscles. Once you're up and going after the first few pedal strokes, I don't think it helps all that much, but for those first few, definitely a benefit
Makes a lot of sense brawlo. I appreciate the wisdom, as I seek to understand ..