pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's stamped # 62

I managed to unscrew and remove the derailleur and once again tried hand-joining the two halves of the upper dropout and lower fragment with RD hanger. I now see why it appeared there was a chunk missing; yes, there may have been some metal lost when the screw area died, but not nearly as large an area as I originally thought I saw.

With the RD removed, I could see that the hanger portion had twisted and bent before shearing off (not surprising, of course). I mean it's bent and twisted to the degree that it is difficult to join the two pieces smoothly, as you would with, say, a cleanly broken tea cup handle.

The lower busted off hanger fragment looks a bit warped, I'm afraid, with the RD mounting hole portion pulled noticeably inward (as if pulling in towards the wheel's spokes)...so correct me if I am wrong, but that makes it a clear case of needing a new dropout entirely, yes? My guess is even if a welder can join the two halves, aligning the rear end for shifting and a straight chainline would be difficult or impossible

Last edited by pgoat; 08-01-15 at 10:00 AM.