View Single Post
Old 08-02-15, 05:54 PM
Vicegrip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
It depends upon the ride, the group, where you are and whether or not the ride is publicized. One of the nice things about being a road cyclist is that you can fit in with group rides just about anywhere and I've done so quite often when traveling. I usually make it a point to contact them beforehand explaining my intentions and experience. If I'm just picking up on a group, I watch them from the back first to see if they seem to know what they are doing and then I'll politely ask to join. Some rides are so well known that a large percentage of the participants will be non-locals looking to test their legs. (The Shootout Ride in Tucson is like that.) If you're competent, you can fit in anywhere. I suspect the OP's ride is quite well-known in his locale and lots of n00bs who want to find out if they're fast show up to test their legs, some of them without the requisite skills. Hence, the frustration.
Agree. I suspect the bold part is lost on some. OP's frustration can also be read as arrogance. I too mix between public rides and tight paceline rides. I don't expect public rides to be as well formed as rides with known riders. Common sense dictates if you jump into a fast tight paceline you should know what you are doing. The OP, like him or not, noted there were other nights where you could hop in and learn. I would not expect to be yelled at in that group just as I would not expect it was OK to learn the basics on "fast" night. Once past the basics of this the "personalities" of the posters tend to taint the conversation of this long standing often amusing thread.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 08-02-15 at 06:01 PM.