View Single Post
Old 08-02-15, 08:37 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 891 Posts
Put some more twine in my pocket and took off on the Rawland this afternoon, stopping to finish the repair job on the Egg.

The Minuteman was in full Easter Parade mode, with a spike in the prevalence of families on bikes, complete with zig-zagging sprats. Made good time regardless, and turned around at Depot Park. The cool leafy sections were especially welcome on this warm afternoon.

Turned off the Minuteman at Wiggins Avenue, then picked up Preston Court and crossed the Shawsheen River on the foot bridge to Bridge Street.

From there followed Shawsheen Road to Page Road, and made the staged climb up the hill to Lexington, past the Corey and Wright farms, then zoomed down the other side on Grove Street, hitting 34 mph and exceeding the posted speed limit (whoopee!). This was, of course, data-gathering on the new bike's climbing and descending characteristics (it's happy to do either, and the low trail seems to bring with it less wheel flop on climbs), but it was easy to lose track of that and just enjoy the ride. Picked up the Minuteman at Revere Street, and rolled home, 23 miles in all.

Over the last three days' rides, I've encountered an unusual incidence of erratic driving: people improvising really strange, negligent maneuvers. Anyone else seeing that, or did I just get lucky? I assume they're simply distracted because they noticed how nice the weather is...

rod