queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DHRB45
Guys, can we have some insight into "big gear" / "steady-state slope" interval training: Thinking:

What is the difference - in training effect - between "big gear" intervals ridden on the flat, and "steady-state" intervals on a 5 to 6 degree slope. (i.e. we are not talking general training on hills per se)

Is the training effect pretty much the same (between the two types of sessions?)

To what extent (if at all) do you fast guys use them? (What benefits have you found?)

Do you prefer "big gear" training on flat, or "steady-state slope" intervals (and why). And, whereabouts would you use them in your buildup to your racing season ..

Cheers: DHRB
My instinct is to say that the training effects are not different. However, the dose is likely to be different, but that's because of the rider, not the workout. What i mean is: it's 'easier' to go harder on hills. That is, it's hard to go as hard on the flats as one can go on hills.

I just had a rider I work with do 4x 2-minute intervals. The first 3 were on flats and the 4th was up a power climb. I am pretty sure that she totally emptied the tank up the climb in a way that is very difficult to do on the flats.

I suspect this effect is pretty common.