Old 08-04-15, 09:47 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mahlers2nd
As ColaJacket has been talking about in his posts, I'm fortunate to live in an area where there is so much support for cycling. I know a lot of people that cycle to work but no one heavier like us. I'm very excited to hear about the beginner rides that teach you how to ride in a group because to me, that is one of the more intimidating prospects of moving from "tooling around the neighborhood" to actually being able to RIDE, if that makes sense. I had a boss that used to do rides at work -- he was HARDCORE and was nationally ranked in his age group for amateurs... but you couldn't even think about joining that ride unless you were really proficient. He wouldn't even let his wife join until she had been practicing on an indoor trainer for at least 6 months!
That's why there are different levels of group rides, from no-drop beginner rides, to no-holds barred race training that will drop you, if you can't do 18-20mph going uphill.

Find one that suits your ability level, and you'll have fun.

Maybe occassionally trying one that may just be out of your ability, but don't get mad if you get dropped (or if it is a no-drop ride, they ask you to go back to the next lower level).

GH