pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Location is everything. Here in Hooterville, I can find a nicer frame for less than that. But the poster is in NYC, and lacks transportation to drive out to the boonies to scoop up a deal.

Can't buy a parking space in NYC for what my house is worth.
Thank you for that - this fiscal inequity thing comes up more on here than you can imagine. I am extremely jealous when i see the nice old bikes folks pick up for a song in more peaceful quiet parts of the country. Truth is there is a lot to love about a big city - my problem is, I make a salary more in keeping with small town America, so dropping $500 on an old mid-line DT shift steel bike is daunting for me.

Originally Posted by wrk101
Of course, OP could wander over to the C & V forum, and check out one of the frames for sale. Even with shipping, he would probably come out even $$ wise, and have something with nicer cosmetics, less wear, etc.
I had no clue people posted bikes and frames there...if the dropout repair proves too difficult or expensive I'll gladly take a look there.

The local frame guy is in next week, which coincides with the arrival of a very generously donated spare dropout from dedhed. I'm bringing the injured Trek in to figure out what my options are. I know everyone says they'll post pics of their bike outcomes (and often don't, creating yet one more eternally cliffhanger thread), but i promise i will post info and/or pics here - hopefully with a happy ending.