Old 08-06-15, 02:14 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
I have spent quite a bit of time in and around SF; however not as much lately, as my family members there have moved to Oakland. By the way, roads predated cars by a longshot. Roads are for people. It is true that in, very, recent times people have primarily traveled on roads in cars; but it does not change the reality that roads are for people, not cars.
The roads we use are purpose built for vehicular traffic. Pedestrian traffic gets sidewalks and pathways built to less stringent specifications and materials which do not require the cyclical load of 3500 pounds all day long...the pedestrian road I use every day is actually hardpack dirt. What you are asserting is equivalent to saying hospitals are built for people...hospitals are built for sick people, an important distinction.

These cyclists are clear that they want vehicular roadways to conform to them, which is interesting because they are not the reason the roads were built, and in the minority relative to vehicles. To say something like stop signs actually hinder bicycle safety...well that's just SF stereotyping itself yet again, trying to be the hipster community which demands that it alone can redefine societal norms just for the sake of doing it. That city can't even follow state laws, and is proud of that for some reason. Their recent troubles on pier 14 say it all.

Originally Posted by kickstart
Or appreciate the difference between fighting social injustice, and spoiled brats who don't like getting their wrists slapped when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

And for the record, I support the adoption of Idaho stop laws, just not through coercion.
I also take certain liberties, but accept the possible consequences of choices I make of my own free will.
The fact that I am commenting in a very sarcastic manner should alert you to the fact that I appreciate the difference. Otherwise I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that.

Originally Posted by TobinH
Who is fighting social injustice? Who are the 'spoiled brats'? Who got their 'wrists slapped'? Who was 'caught'?
Yeah I was wondering that myself.

Last edited by jfowler85; 08-06-15 at 02:26 PM.