View Single Post
Old 08-06-15, 02:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatSix911
1988 is the correct answer.
That is around the time when the esteem of steel-framed bikes peaked. Thereafter, there were compelling reasons to choose aluminum and carbon fiber.

As for quality, I agree with those who say it they haven't peaked yet. They just keep getting better.

But as some noted, the market has shrunken.

It's hard to tell, but the market for steel bikes seems to be increasing a bit, and not just at the high end. Even bikesdirect and nashbar have some steel models. I believe all Linus and Biria bikes are steel. Linus is a solid value in midrange. Biria is slightly higher-priced with a similar value.

Joe Average who is not a bike nut may not care about the æsthetics or history of steel bikes. Aluminum costs less and is lighter. Lots of aluminum bikes ride well. They generally hold up well, too. They are not worth repairing when damaged, but that's really not a big concern for many people anyway. Modifications are also harder, and that is also a very narrow concern among cyclists.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.