Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
THIS.

Originally Posted by busdriver1959
Many of todays custom steel builders build completely by hand. A hacksaw and a couple of files to cut the miters and a handheld torch to stick everything together. I don't see any use of CNC machining except that some may use a CNC to make their own dropouts or headbadges. Some, mostly TIG builders, will use holesaws mounted in a mill to do their miters.
I think you are wrong to suggest that todays handbuilders are inferior to yesterdays because of reliance on technology. There simply isn't any evidence to support this.
Now, to answer the OP's question. Steel bikes have yet to peak. Today there are many artisans building beautiful handbuilts with tubesets that continually improve. Reynolds has brought a new lower cost stainless tubeset to the market, KVA has a fantastic stainless offering, the people at Cycle Design Group may eventually bring a steel tubeset to market, True Temper is still producing wonderful tubes. In addition, all of the old standards, Reynolds, Columbus, Tange, etc. are still doing their thing. All of these companies are offering a wide varieties of diameters and wall thicknesses.
It just keeps getting better and better.
...and THIS

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Now, hands down.
Not even close.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.