Old 08-07-15, 02:39 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unglued
I looked at the speedplays; Very cool. A little out of my price range for now, but definitely worth looking at in the future.

What level of fit is needed? They seem to range... I've seen prices between $75 and $250 for a 30-45 minute fitting. I would definitely like to spend on the low end. I did talk to some local riders and everyone recommends a different shop as their preference. I don't mind calling some places... Are there any questions I can ask to make sure I'm choosing the right person?
You're in a tough spot if you lack the budget for a fitting right now. I really don't know what to tell you.

A "pro" fitting can take up to 3 or 4 hours and cost up to $350-$400.

I recommend as thorough a fitting as you can afford.

A 30-45 minute fitting is not going to be very beneficial, to be honest.

If local riders recommend different fitters, call a few and see if you feel comfortable talking with them over the phone. You can then narrow it down to 2 or 3 you want to talk to in person. I think that will give you a good sense of which fitter to choose. When you visit in person, ask to see their fitting facilities. They'll put you on a trainer, but the best fitters have sophisticated computer software which can quantify exact angles and your performance.

I have to be honest and recommend you get a fitting ASAP, as you are experiencing knee pain while riding now. And I recommend speedplays for knee issues.

A proper fitting + speedplays can cost you around $450, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. It is an investment that is well worth it.

I'd love to tell you that you can get some of this stuff on the cheap, but your priority right now is your health.

I lucked out since I paid $50 for speedplay zero's on closeout, and I received a very thorough fitting for low cost when I bought my bike. But your priority is to ride comfortably and efficiently so make that investment!

You can do it! Cut out coffee for a few months, rent movies instead of going to the theatre, or negotiate an installment plan. Do what it takes. Your health is worth it.