View Single Post
Old 08-09-15, 12:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Yeah, "hill" is what she should have written. There are no hills where they're riding. No worries, they'll get to rethink what they call a hill soon enough.
Don't kid yourself. While there's nothing that a serious cyclist would sweat over, there is rolling terrain and what would be a decent hill for someone who can only ride 10 miles per day or even double that.

One thing to consider is the time element. At 10 miles per day he'll need almost 300 days to make the trip. Even if he doubles to 20/day, that's still 150 days or 5 months, meaning that he'll be finishing about Christmas. That's not impossible or even unreasonable if he swings south with the birds and might even be beneficial. But it rules out visiting folks in the midwest on the way.

Hopefully, and giving him every conceivable benefit of any doubt, he can work up to 30 miles per day fairly quickly, and if so, it's a 100day/3 month trip that he can finish before it gets too cold.

For my part, I remain skeptical and will wait to see what happens in the coming weeks.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.