Old 08-09-15, 06:46 PM
Greenmeenie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking at the ToughRoad too. My current commuting bike here in NYC is the Giant Escape, and I love it. Great ride. But I'm looking to do some epic touring in the not too distant future. Actually my Giant Escape 2 with its long wheelbase & chain stay is more than capable to be set up as a touring bike. Its got all the eyelets to rig racks and panniers. The ToughRoad does too. The more expensive version actually comes with racks.

I also prefer flat handle bars over drop handle bars. Hand positions schmand positions! Lol. Seriously. I just prefer the flat handlebar set up, always have...even for long rides. Both the Escape & ToughRoad have flat bars. Yay! But the ToughRoad has disc brakes which will make riding in rain & snow safer. But the brakes on the Escape are easier to maintain. A plus when trouble strikes out in the middle of nowhere.

The tires on the ToughRoad are a beefy 50 compared to the Escapes thinner 32s. I see pluses and minuses for both. The ToughRoad will be able to handle rougher terrain with comfort and ease, especially if my panniers are full of heavy gear...but the Escape will be speedier. I'm wondering if the ToughRoad tires may be too thick for long epic touring? I could always put thinner wheels on the ToughRoad and thicker wheels on the Escape if I wanted. I'm thinking 35s to 40s might be the sweet spot compromise. I dunno. Thoughts?

i was also thinking of a third candidate. The new Giant fastroad. It's got the flat handlebars I like, but the tires are too narrow and it lacks all the proper eyelets for traditional racks & panniers. If I could put 32s or 35 tires on the FastRoad and rig a rack system somehow...then perhaps it could be a contender. but for now, it's between the Escape & ToughRoad.

I know there is the Surly LHT & Trek 520, but what can I say? I'm a Giant Loyalist. :-)