Old 08-10-15, 07:55 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I joined our local bicycle club this past spring, so as a newbie, I'll share what made it easy for me.

1. I was introduced to it at an early spring charity ride sponsored by the club, (which also coicided with a 5k run). I had been commuting by bike, and wanted to ride with other people. This ride was pretty relaxed, not too fast, and they have a no rider left behind motto. Good experience for a 24 mile ride.

2. I rode a few group rides after this (as "prospective member"). My club is not very strict. They welcome newcomers on most rides, with the understanding that if you will be riding every week, you should pay the @20 dues.

3. 2 weekly rides: - Monday night is the more aggressive ride (&advertised as such). 1 major climbs, usually a group of 4 speedy riders who take off and are not seen again (25-28mph on the flats)...the rest of us (6-7) go a bit slower (19-21 mph on the flats), but still pretty quick, but wait at a few designated spots for people to catch up, and if someone new is lagging, a regular will go back and ride with them. ...--> Thursday night ride is more relaxed, no big hills, slower pace, about 20 miles...also with a few "stop and refuiel" places.

4. On about half the Saturdays, there are special rides, often longer destination rides, like to a restaurant in a nearby town...ride 25 miles, eat lunch, ride back...something like that.

5. They'll also sponsor several other charity rides throughout the season, often corresponding with local festivals and 5k runs.

To summarize, I felt welcome as a newbie because I knew I generally won't be left behind, because i knew a few of the people already, and because I wanted the groups to push me to go faster, which groups always do. Our group has no discounts, so that's not an issue, and I doubt it would be for most people...bottom line is: do newer people have an avenue to get started without feeling belittled or looked down on?