View Single Post
Old 08-10-15, 11:56 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
If you'd like to take issue with anything specific I've posted, I'd be happy to entertain a discussion -- please cite my "rant[s] against helmets" and "anyone that supports using helmets."

I do have issues with those who misrepresent aspects of cycling safety where helmets are concerned, also those who very pointedly denigrate those who choose not to wear helmets.

I wear helmets most of the time I ride bicycles. I've suffered crashes, and in once instance, a crash where I believe a helmet helped mitigate some injury: I was doing a shoulder-check for traffic behind and did not see a pothole which caught my front tire as I was pedaling out of the saddle. That put me over the bars, on the road, and as a result, my helmeted head made forceful impact with the ground. Once I got over to the side of the road, I checked for damage on me and the bike, and continued along my commute.

When I arrived at work, I was suffering a headache, but not much else regarding the head impact; at most a very minor concussion. Examination of my helmet indicated that it had deformed as designed, absorbing impact energy as the EPS liner compressed, and it was cracked. Because of the nature of the crash -- speed, forces involved, damage to the helmet, and lack of other significant injury, I believe:

- I would not have died if I was not wearing a helmet How do you know that?
- I would not have been permanently disabled due to TBI were I not wearing a helmet How do you know that ?
- I could quite possibly have suffered a moderate concussion or head injury, but probably not a serious head injury. How do you know that?
- The helmet definitely saved me from road rash/abrasion/contusion/laceration -- quite possibly a trip ($$$) to the emergency room. That is probably the only think you do know for sure...
What did I not do as a result? Become a helmet proselytizer, claim that I'd be dead or permanently disabled if I had not been wearing one, or insult those who choose not to wear helmets.
Seems to me the only thing you know for sure is you suffered a headache and maybe a very minor concussion, and no abrasions... And maybe, just maybe, you would have died... Nobody knows for sure and that is the whole point of wearing a helmet IMO to hopefully reduce the severity of injury ...