Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
Many areas have C groups which travel at lower speeds and a more relaxed pace line. These groups tend to be very social and are not interested in pushing the pace. I know several people that have participated in these groups and feel most comfortable with them. If they don't have any interest in progressing to the B group to challenge themselves, no one is pushing them to do so. It is important to have a variety of speed groups for the wide range of cyclist's with different levels of fitness and experience.
I understand the concept of A, B and C groups. I don't understand the concept that says if I want to ride at average eg. 20mph speed (flats), then I need to want to do the whole paceline thing and follow much stricter rules. My hypothesis is that club membership or participation falls off as riders get better/faster for this reason.. they simply decide that they'll ride solo or just with a friend or two, than put up with stringent rules that clubs seem to impose as the rides get faster.