Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
I guess they're different in your town. I know what kind of drivers you're talking about - I encounter them a lot more in DC proper than in Alexandria. They wave me through, then start moving immediately while I'm still crossing the intersection.

In Old Town Alexandria, they're well-behaved. If I refuse to move when they wave me through, I waste everybody's time.
I was referring to anywhere. I should have mentioned that. Regardless of whether I am in Olde Town Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, DC, Bethesda, Kensington, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Germantown, Olney, or even Boyds. Maybe I heard of too many people hitting the gas. Instead of the brake when trying to park at places like . Motorists' could do the same thing at a stop sign.
Originally Posted by Essex
Old Town Alexandria is a great place. Good manners abound. Next time I'm there - I'll be bringing my bicycle.
That is very true.
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
You should! The Old Town part is very bike-friendly and has a bunch of bike shops near MUPs or bike-friendly streets. Mount Vernon Trail is a nice MUP to ride on, as long as you watch out for the usual things (dogs, silent-passing cyclists, etc.), and it connects to Four Mile Run Trail, which in turn connects to WO&D Trail. The newest trail in the area, Potomac Ave. Trail isn't quite as scenic, but provides bike-friendly access to the Potomac Yards Shopping Center - I ride on it on my evening commute to avoid the majority of joggers, baby stroller pushers, tourists, etc. on the Mt. Vernon Trail.

Oh and I forgot to mention there is a concrete-separated MUP on the Woodrow Wilson bridge to National Harbor. Even if there's nothing of interest to you in National Harbor, the view from the bridge is pretty nice.
I agree with your emphatic recommendation!!
Originally Posted by Rootman
I'm with you there, especially if they are going to be behind me after the turn. Why allow me to go first if you are just going to charge up on my rear and probably pass to close anyway?
Exactly!!
Originally Posted by Daniel4
True but why cause any confusion? I’d rather take my turn as everyone expects. Any drivers behind me can pass properly and safely when the situation permits as should be expected.
If there is a motorist behind me, that wants to turn right. I will get to the left, so they can pass me, while I wait. If there is no right turn at the stop sign I am at. They can pass me on the left after I proceed forward.