View Single Post
Old 08-12-15, 12:34 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyTier
I bought a Windson Clockwork Plus online about four months ago. Since then I have been using it to commute to work every day. Love getting back into biking as I used to be a big MTN biker back in the day! Unfortunately the frame on the Windsor I think is too big for me. I am six foot two and settled on the 61CM bike because a friend had suggested that size for me. I think the frame is too big because sometimes I experience pain in my knee when riding it to work which is about five miles one way. My other bike is a mid Nineties Specialized HardRock that is a little too small for me frame wise and is in desperate need of a tune up.

I have been thinking about buying a Surly Ogre frame and using what salvageable parts I have from my Hardrock. Would this be a decent way to build up a Fall commuter bike? Although I love the single speed I wouldn't mind getting a geared bike so that I could easier transition to different rides/club rides. Eventually over time I would like to upgrade the Ogre to a Touring light trails bike.

One last question is how easy do you think it would be to assemble the Ogre build for someone who is fairly mechanically inclined and has the appropriate parts and tools available?

Thanks anyone everyone for the suggestions! I am looking for ways to justify this new purchase to my wife who doesn't want me to get another bike
When you say you have the tools, do you mean you have the tools to properly face the bottom bracket and headset? Those tolls are not cheap and have no other real uses.

If that sentence didn't make immediate sense to you, then you aren't ready to build a bike from a frame without local bike mechanic help, IMO.

You also need tools to install the bottom bracket, cassette and cranks, but lots of home mechanics own those, problem is you have to have the exact one you need as there are many different types of bottom brackets, cranks and cassettes and not all use the same tool.