Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
I'm really surprised that people aren't being noticed or stared at when riding. On the rec trail, a large percentage of people walking will stare as I pass.
I have no doubt they do. To walkers, a cyclist is something that sneaks up behind them and suddenly flies past them at what seems like a great rate of speed. It's startling. I've been in the walker's position and even though I know the path has cyclists, and even though I know cyclists do this stealth thing and have the potential of startling me ... I'm still startled when they go by. Especially if they haven't given me much room. And yes, I'm sure as part of being startled, my eyes widen and I probably look like I'm staring for a moment.

But am I awed by the bicycle or kit of the cyclist going past? Nope.

As a cyclist ... mostly I ride on roads, and as much as possible on quiet country roads. There aren't many people out there. Do the drivers stare? Probably not, why would they. They've all seen cyclists before. I just hope they actually do see me.

And when I do ride on the local cycleway, there are so many cyclists and pedestrians ... why would any of them stare. It's not like I'm unusual.