View Single Post
Old 08-14-15, 01:38 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Q-Acceptable ride distance for a newbie

A-How ever far the newbie wants to ride

Everybody starts somewhere. You're doing just fine if you're enjoying yourself during and after the ride. You can add the extra 10% as mentioned or push until you can't pedal another rotation. Riding by yourself means you have the air resistance to overcome at all times whereas riding behind another person or a group, gives you the opportunity of having someone in front of you making a hole in that invisible wall thus reducing your pedaling effort and possibly increasing that comfortable riding distance without extra effort. Do what feels good.

Originally Posted by jdotconnor
I'm new also. My first ride was July 10th doing a very lazy but rolling hills 10 mile ride with another newbie and an experienced rider on an introductory ride. As a stay at home dad I can only get out twice a week and am thinking of a trainer for my 7 month olds nap time. Im currently doing 10-17 mile mid-week solo ride and a 26-30 mile weekend group ride. I use Strava (I'm a huge stats guy and keep all kinds of numbers for my golf game) but only to see how I am improving compared to myself and don't watch numbers while riding. I love seeing how not only am I riding faster but also have more energy when I get home despite the ride and am not sore the next day even if I pushed myself in the moment.
Great day to start since it was my 65th Bday. Keeping tract of those stats can be addictive and rewarding and/or depressing. Just keep it fun!