Old 08-14-15, 03:42 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
A few months back I was on a road heading home that has 3 lanes with center turn lane, but it's still totally undeveloped along the entire stretch, with zero turns anywhere for over a mile. People readily pass me in the center turn lane without any problems.

This one day a couple old guys in a plumbing company beat up old work van paced me in the turn lane, while the driver yelled something about how I should be on the other side of the road, facing traffic; all the while holding up other traffic behind him who wanted to pass. I was flabbergasted that he would suggest such nonsense. I replied something between breaths about how that is illegal and highly dangerous. He went on up ahead.

When I came to the light I pulled up beside him and said "you need to review state laws, which say bicyclists must ride WITH traffic". He made some excuses about awww well in his day he was taught to ride a bike facing traffic! Seems BS because I've seen some of those 50's bicycle instructional videos that clearly say to always ride WITH traffic.

Anyway he took off with nothing further to say.

Another time at that same light, I went through the light and then shortly after, a pickup with a big trailer passes me in the left lane (road changes to 5 lanes after the light), with the passenger hanging out the window yelling "GET THE EFF OFFA THE ROAD!!!!" to which I shouted simply "HAVE A NICE DAY!!"
Sounds like he is confused about biking vs walking.