TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jgadamski
a properly packed frame set would be supported with sufficient packaging to prevent it from moving within the package, and prevent the possibility of crushed content.
UPS has been doing their work for over a century. UPS has a standard for integrity of packaging, knowing that they will be blamed for everything. Go on the UPS website and look up their packaging guidelines. I promise you that most shippers don't until they eat a few damage claims.
I don't work for UPS. I am a shipper, and have had over 30 years experience with UPS. In the past, their 'belt' and their accelerated work pace led to damage. Processes have improved considerably from the past. But a shipper still has to do their part. Were I to ship a frame, I would construct cardboard 'cradle' supports that kept the frame centered in the box, and prevented crushing. It would take time and money and a bit of trial and error to find the correct packaging. Not everybody is willing to do that. It may well be this shipper calculates a level of damage claims is preferable to actually paying for good packing.
I actually called the shipper & from what I gather the item came to them from their source in a container of items in the overseas shipping container. The guy I spoke with said most of the time these containers are packed so tight nothing moves. Apprently he went on a mission and discovered that apprently their source did not pack the individual frame set very well.

I will agree with that as mine arrived trashed. But because I do not understand why things can get done right the second time, when they should have got done right the first time I will not take that excuse.

In year 2015 most shipping department have access to all sort of wonderful packaging material. Bubble warp by the sheet, bubble wrap bags, styrofoam peanuts, all sorts of cushion materials, reinforce packing tape, and many item we did not have 40 plus years ago when I worked as a shipping clerk.

All we has for the most part was boxes of different thicknesses, plastic bags, newspaper, and if we need shredded newpapers we ripped it ourselves. But I do not recall many item being returned because they arrived damaged.

Recall when I use to order photographic equiptment that was made in Japan. Every lens, camera body or accessory was in a plastic bag, that was inside two piece of molded syrofoam blocks that fit the item so well. Then each item was package in a fancy box with instruction, and warranty card. Apple computer must have learned from the Japanese how to pack their offerings, as they stuff is pack to go to war, and it arrives undamaged.