View Single Post
Old 08-17-15, 03:09 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by dnslater
My wife is a serious tri-athlete and had several surgeries the past year. She was looking to get back to competitive shape and has been on the Ketogenic diet for 3-4 months with great results. She has dropped about 15-20 lbs and her cholesterol is down. I am a less serious athlete and am doing a less serious form of her diet. Keto is essentially a high fat, super low carb diet. She tries to keep her net carbs below 25 grams and her protein below 90. I am trying to keep my carbs below 85 and protein below 125 - so a bit more moderate - which is more realistic with three kids..

Ketogenic diets are very interesting - with the overall concept being that an athlete functions better in fat burning mode than in carb burning mode - as your body can store tens of thousands of calories of fat energy easily - so no bonking during the 7th hour of her Ironmans. Your body is not dependent on a steady sugar stream. Another concept of it for us non-competitive types - is that the reduction of grains and sugar dramatically lowers inflammation in your body and evens out your blood sugar/insulin. If you buy into the evils of gluten - there are more potential benefits there. Supposedly inflammation/sugar is what drives up cholesterol in the blood and a high fat, super low carb diet will reduce cholesterol - as it simply passes through your system and does stick to artery walls without inflammation.

It is a bit hard to retrain your mind, after growing up with the food pyramid and thinking fat is bad. It sounds a little tin foil hat - but the USA has a "system" in place where we heavily subsidize the wrong things (corn and wheat) - and therefore big food (and their lobby) is heavily invested in pushing a diet with lots of grain/corn syrup - which cause diabetes, heart disease, etc...... - which allows big pharmaceutical companies to profit.

The American Dietetic Association - which is very powerful in setting the nations food research agenda - is funded by companies such as Coca Cola, Kraft, Kellogg, ConAgra, Mosanto, Nestle, Nabisco, etc...... companies very much vested in carbohydrates.
This is only true for endurance athletes operating below the lactate threshold. If you are racing or doing group rides where intensities ramp up constantly you HAVE to have carbs to produce enough glycogen to keep up. Even the best athletes on keto adapted metabolisms can only push their CHO/fat burning ratios up to ~70/30 when operating at threshold.