Old 08-17-15, 04:28 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
So last week I'm downtown listening to street music and riding around town with the Colnago. This guy strolls up behind me, puts his hand on my shiny Cinelli (he didnt even say it properly) bars and starts with, "I got this beat". He starts rattling with his pedigree of racing accomplishments circa 1975. As he walks around the bike he tells me about his Paramount. Ok, decent bike but quite an argument saying it has my '77 Super "beat". He then nitpicks at every little thing he could think of. I remain silent. Nary a word. He then gives me the wrench "tip of the century". He spies the Campy BB and says "I hope you didnt remove the bearings". Huh?? He says the bearings wear into the cups a certain way and removing them will put them into a new break-in process thus ruining the entire BB. Pfffft. I told him not servicing the 38yr old BB would do the same.

After getting treated like I'm a complete dufus/noob I asked him "do you ride??". Nope, had a bad wipeout and wrecked his hip. Right. Of course. Fully expected that. He is about 65 and looks like riding wouldnt hurt him a bit. So he then shows me a fresh scar on his hand saying it was from a stick that impaled his hand....during....a....MTB ride.

Why does this bike incite such criticism? I dont get it. Are some people...strangers...this weird that they feel better doing such even when revealing their ignorance??
Dude put his hands on your bike?

Dude says "I got this beat?"

Dude proceeds to insult you?

There's a point to where you can very politely let people know you don't want their ****. At the second the person puts his hands on your stuff, it's done. "please let go of my ****."

Or maybe, "let's go make out."

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.