Bikes: 2017 Giant Trance 2, 2016 SOMA Wolverine, 2015 Diamondback Haanjo Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
No.

Its limited by the fork and seat stays.

It came with 700 X 42 tires or 29 X 1.6. The maximum is 700 X 52 or 29 X 2.0.
Thanks Norman. I wonder if the new Giant is able to squeeze in a 2.1? I should clarify the purpose of my interest... I am looking for a flatbar bike to ride fire roads, smooth single track, and paved bike paths. I like the idea of a 29er, disc brakes, and threadless headsets - which are my only objections to just updating an older MTB. I don't need or want suspension, which it seems that most bikes that can clear a 29x2.1 tire have suspension. I dont want to go through the hassle/expense of converting a hardtail to a rigid fork, and end up with a bike that is obviously kludged/compromised to make it work. Essentially, I want my old 1992 Cannondale M2000, but with 29er wheels, disc brakes, and a threadless headset.

So far, I think this Giant and the Marin are the two closest bikes available. There are a few singlespeed MTBs out there, but the trails I ride usually include a fair bit of climbing, and I need gears. The Surlys (Ogre, KM, Krampus) seem a bit overpriced for the build they come with, and a custom build/smaller brand bike will probably be too expensive. I doubt my wife would be OK with anything more than $1000, so this bike is definitely looking like a solid option. Now to go find one in person!