Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My sweet revenge story

I am a clyde. I am down to 225 lbs from 280 last year when I started cycling. I only rode in a couple group rides and did very well and last weekend I did my very first charity ride. I suppose you could call this a success story for me because it really made me feel good about myself. This is also the first year of riding an actual road bike since I dropped weight and found a road bike I can ride comfortably after going through several different bikes.

When I got to the start point I unloaded my bike and was walking it to the registration table. There were six guys half my age getting ready to start and they were all wearing matching cycling gear and all had carbon fiber racing bikes. I seen the guys all checking out my bike and overheard one of them say "Haha! A Huffy."

After he said that they took off on the ride. It took me a good six or seven minutes to get registered and get on my way. I was bound and determined to catch up with these guys. I started out hard and kept a really good pace. I passed 5-6 smaller groups of riders and countless individual riders. I kept up with my pace and after an hour and a half I figured these guys are long gone until we got into town I could see them all up ahead. I pushed harder and faster and finally caught up to them! There they were just slowing to a stop at the main intersection in town at the red light. I live locally and knew this light and timed it. Just as the light turned green I whipped past them and all the other riders stopped at the light.

I glimpsed in my rear view mirror and seen this group were first off the light and pushing hard to catch me. All six of them were standing on the pedals and pedaling fast. This is where I decided to push even harder and I refused to let them catch up, so I gave it all I got, stood on my pedals and tried to erase the pain and fatigue I was feeling since we were already about 20 miles into a 40 mile ride. I knew the next rest/drink stop was at the next covered bridge 5 miles away so I pushed it hard and steady all the way there! They were just starting to close the gap as we arrived at the stop.

When we got there, I was expecting some more smart remarks, but the dude who laughed at my bike approached me first and said "Dude! You are a really strong rider! How much does that bike weigh?" I said "It's a tank at 27 lbs, but when you are my size, weight does not matter." One of the other guys said "I am surprised you even caught up to us because we left as you were heading in."

Honestly, I really could not talk a whole lot since I was totally winded and wiped out from trying to catch these guys and maintain a lead so for the rest of the conversion with these guys I simply nodded and said a few "yeps" and "uh huhs" and told them to have fun. I then pretended my phone was buzzing and said "Excuse me" while I pretended to take a call. After a few minutes they headed off to finish the ride and a couple of them waved.

I am not gonna lie. I took a 30 minute rest after that because I was so tired. I know I am not bicycle racing material, but I was just happy I was able to catch those guys and pass them by surprise. I took the last 15 miles of the ride at a slow pace and rode with a bunch of nice people and enjoyed the ride. My bike got a lot of comments and a lot of those riders who seen me pass those guys were telling me that it was funny how when I went around them they all took off after me like a pack of dogs chasing a rabbit.

Just thought I would share my story. Here are a few pics I got from the event............

And here is a pic of my Huffy I like like so much..............

Thanks for reading.