View Single Post
Old 08-18-15, 09:23 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the bike doesn't look half bad. some good rubber and clipless pedals and some kit for yourself and you'd definitely look the part. and if you got rid of the mirror and removed the stickers they would never know what kind of bike it was, which would only encourage more conversation. the fun part is that after a while you won't have to catch these guys and sucker punch them at a red light, you will actually be able to hang on with them, which is WAY more fun than chasing all day. and if you hang with them for a while, they might actually start to talk to you lol.

I know it feels good to blow by them, but just remember they still passed you and then proceeded to lead the line while you dropped back. for me, not being able to hang was a huge motivation to my own weight loss and progress. I don't mean to rain on your parade, I just mean to say that imagine how good it would have felt to catch them and hang on for 30 miles at 20+mph! and what about when they sprint for a red light, could you hold on at 35mph pounding the pavement in the wind at 100-120rpm? in a high gear?! could you do that all while 6-12 inches from someone else, and trust that they wouldn't hit you and not hit them? could you do it for 30secs to 60secxs all out, at the end of a 30 mile ride? they were "riding," you were racing.

if they raced you, it would suck, believe me. you would all alone inside 3 miles. I mean "all alone" on the road, as in "they were so far gone" that you wouldn't even be able to see them, or anyone in either direction, at all. been there done that.

I can run in the front of my weekly 30 mile group ride that averages 20mph, I can even pull for several minutes at that pace, but when the stoplight sprints or the strava segments get rolling, they all pull away. It took me a whole summer to hang on the sprints, and even then I can only do it with the draft.

be humble, don't pass guys way fitter than you at stoplights. they will humiliate you EVERY time and acting like you "dropped back" really means that you got smoked. anyone can pass someone who is stopped. my dad would call this "shooting at hospital ships."