Old 08-19-15, 06:50 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I've come to understand there are basically two classes of balance bikes - there are ones built like toys for toddlers, and ones built like bikes for preschoolers. Within each there is a range of quality. The Strider is probably the best of the smaller ones. But a lot of the features that make it good for a baby make it worse for a preschooler - like air tires (an upgrade option) would add 2 lb, and a set of hand brakes would add 1 lb, hard for a baby to lift, and don't matter for a baby who's not actually gliding while sitting on the seat or going off curbs or trying tricks... but make it a much better bike for a 3-4yo. I think we'll start with a Strider at 18mo and then see how he's doing at 2.5 or 3, whether we want to upgrade or go to pedals.

My favorite one so far is Little Big Bike but no idea if it's actually good, have seen few independent reviews from people who compare it to other premium bikes. And it's 12 lb and too big for a toddler even in low configuration, while a Strider is 7 lb and fits.
Ok OT (but less so than most in this thread)

I know these strider/walking bikes are the rage..... but watching the twins across the street it just doesn't seem to be a huge advantage in learning.

I started my son on a 16 inch wheel, with training wheels instead of a tricyle. just a simple cheapo target bike.....for the need the quality was good enough. At 3 1/2 he brought me a wrench and insisted I take the training wheels off. that was that.

He still likes bikes, even if is more fixie than C&V (but the colleges he is looking at are all hilly so that may change in a year)

Beyond that $1800 or so on kids bike like this is ...... again word fail , but obscene comes to mind