Old 08-20-15, 09:06 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
"Back when" we trained on tubulars a spare (or two) was carried under the saddle, always a worn or repaired tub relegated to "spare" status.
It was faster to replace a tubular on the side of the road and inflate w/ a Silca or Zefal frame pump than it does today to change a tube and mess around w/ mini pump & CO2.
For a training ride there was enough gutta adhesion on the rim bed and on a pre-instaled spare to have no worries keeping in mind to not play full-on Crit racer.
It was what it was and we dealt with it as part of operational SOP.
Race wheels were/are safer as tubulars since a flat can be safely ridden out of the field and onto the verge to wait for support and a wheel change.

It's refreshing to see a question posed about hardware use that one is un-familiar with rather than a strongly worded "opinion" on hardware one has no experience using.

PS: "10 Speed" meant 2X5, gears didn't index, low was 42X21 and we trained on tubulars. Somehow we got along just fine..............

-Bandera
I've always avoided tubulars like the plague since I had never heard of the tape method.

I have however, seen tubular tires glued on out of balance.

How easy is this tape stuff, and if you get it wrong, how hard is it to redo?