Old 08-21-15, 02:00 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I agree that if you look only at bicycle commuting numbers in the United States, the study is not encouraging. I don't know if bike commuting will ever be a big part of the commuting mix.

Based on the rapid increase of number in Europe just in the last couple years-- where real improvements were made in bike infrastructure-- I remain somewhat optimistic. I have always thought that 10% of commutes by bike in North America would be a reasonable goal, given the very modest improvements that we see in the infrastructure at the best of times.
As far as I know, the biggest increases in ridership in Europe is in Germany, where they have dumped the segregated cycletrack model in favor of 2 meter-plus bike lanes clear of door zone hazards. Meanwhile, cycling advocacy in the US seems fixated on substandard segregated features that are below the current standards of even the places that prefer that style. Perhaps if our "advocates" changed their approach, which would likely involve admitting that their fear of overtaking traffic is irrational, we might be able to move forward.