Old 08-22-15, 10:38 AM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
i've grown to loathe the avid BB5's that came with my CX bike (modded into my daily commuter). the damn things will just not ever stay adjusted for more than a couple months or so.

i want to know what are the absolute best mechanical disc brakes currently available in the marketplace for a CX bike with SRAM apex brifters and cross levers. money is no object.
I replaced my front bb7 with a TRP HY/RD. I got sick adjusting the bb7 every week in the winter, and annoyed with having to remount the brake every pad change, and the the front brake was corroded to all hell after three chicago winters, so it needed to be replaced anyway. (Mind you, two of them were unusually snowy and salty.) Works fine. I did have to add about a teaspoon of fluid when I bought it, which greatly improved the lever travel, and need to use a cable pulling pliers when installing it. But even allowing for having mounted it twice, I have in the 5 months or so I've had it, spent maybe two weeks worth of bb7 fiddling. (memo to myself: check the pads...)