Old 08-22-15, 03:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by YWoodman
Yes, I see that the thread is ancient...but, you know, it's all new to me.

It does NOT, however, work with bicycles. And it is amazing to see these idiots actually trying. See, the bicycle is in motion, just like your automobile...rolling along

There exists no force, attached to the vehicle, than can cause it to jump forward. It cannot extend itself from itself. It can only move faster via moving its wheels faster.

A cyclist can do to nothing to improve his position except pedal. This is as absolute as the soundest laws of physics. Pushing a bicycle forward, while attached to it, is 100% impossible.....
It's a good thing that none of the team members from back when I sponsored teams ever heard from you. Of course, though you assertively claim that riders who throw their bike forward are 100% wasting their time, I assert that you are 100% wrong on the issue and need to read up on "Conservation of Momentum".

The skater example I linked is a nice example. If they were on a moving platform (say a rail car going 50mph) they would move apart the same way. The centerline between them would travel the same speed, but the one pushed forward would arrive earlier than if she stayed close to her partner. Likewise with the bike.

The bicycle and rider are one moving unit for the entire approach to the finish line, but the position of the two elements bicycle and rider relative to each other can change. Since a bicycle weighs about 1/10th the rider, he can throw it forward gaining speed for it (for a moment) while losing 1/10th of the gain for himself. After the wheel crosses the finish line he can assume the original configuration which will reestablish the original speed (less loss to drag).

So timed right, he definitely can gain a few inches through this technique, which is well established, and why skilled riders use the technique in dead heats.

BTW- if bicycle race finishes were based on the rider's nose, this technique would be counterproductive. The rider would wish to pull the bike pack and bring his head forward, but because of the weight ratio the benefit would be minimal.

Edit - Prathman must have pushed his keyboard away as he was finishing his post, thereby beating me by a a minute or so.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-22-15 at 03:53 PM.