Old 08-22-15, 06:38 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by bwgride
There may be some benefits of the Garmin Edge -- maybe longer battery life -- but for the money a more versatile option an Android phone.

I have a Nexus 5 and use the GPS for backpacking, biking, tracking (e.g. Map My Ride with time, distance, splits, speed, etc.), etc. For large maps the app Co-Pilot is inexpensive ($10 or $20) and provides all of North American with free map upgrades. There are several free tracking apps.

The Nexus 5 GPS does not require use of data; it can run with no data and no cell phone connected.

In addition to GPS, it can be used as a camera (HD images), video recorder (HD video), cell phone, game system, music player, book reader, etc. Much more flexible than a Garmin unit, and the cost appears to be only about $50 more. Even if you don't want the cell phone option, it can be used for everything else listed above minus cell phone (although it can be used as wifi phone if desired with no cell service plan).

When I first bought my Nexus 5, it was not for the cell phone, instead, it was for all the other benefits I noted above. I was able to find cell service that is very inexpensive (ting.com) that costs about $17 monthly and that includes texting and talking, and about 100mb of data. It's a pay for what you use type plan.

Anyway, just thought I would offer an alternative that may be more benefit than a stand-alone GPS unit.
Awesome I am glad I saw your post. I started with a crappy Windows phone. I just upgraded to the Nexus 5!