Thread: PBP Tracking
View Single Post
Old 08-22-15, 09:23 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
I made it back to the finish line in the nick of time. I felt strong until the 1,000th Km at Villainess-La-Juhel. The last night, however, was plagued for me with deep fatigue (sleepiness) and a developing case of Shermer's neck. I also had to sleep by the side of the road but the quality of sleep was bad. I would get on the bike and about half-hour later off the bike again since I was falling asleep. I lost several hours locked in this pattern. I passed a few minor accidents. Finally with daylight I was able to make it to the finish line in time.

I organized the first Randonneur Club in Mexico to make this happen. The first Mexican delegation had six people. Three of us made it to the finish line. The only true Mexican national finished in ~78 hours, another one (French citizen who resides in Mexico City) in 88:11 and I (USA/Panamanian) in 89:17. The three other participants had to abandon before Brest but learned a lot from their first attempt.

It was an incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience for me with five years in the making. The French people who greeted us, encouraged us and fed us along the route were truly amazing.