Old 08-24-15, 07:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18584 Post(s)
Liked 16,061 Times in 7,539 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
What if they hadn't had what you wanted? Or the next place? Or the next place? Whoops, weren't you supposed to be back at lunch about two hours ago?
There are two shops within a five minute walk of my office. There is a third I can ride to in 15 min., which is no biggie since I usually ride to work. There is a fourth shop on my route home and a fifth that's a five minute walk from my house. A sixth I can walk to from my office in 15 min. or less. There is also a running shop close to my office that always has a large stock of the energy gels I prefer. The shop that built my new road bike is a pleasant 40 min. ride. I need some new tubeless tires. I will probably ride up there Wednesday and have them install a new set while I wait. (Good opportunity to pick up that spare RD hanger the owner promised me.) On route to that shop there is yet a another well-stocked shop. Five minutes away from that one there is still another. In times of desperation, there is a Performance about a 20 min. ride from my office. Good excuse to stop by my favorite butcher for some wild boar or rabbit sausage or maybe some fresh pasta around the corner from his place. Any "specialty item" I need (e.g., the touring-specific tires I prefer) I know I will need ahead of time and can have ordered for me. This (and checking stock if I am sincerely concerned about the availability of something) can be accomplished with a quick telephone call.

I don't own a car although the GF and I share one. We almost never drive during the week because we don't have parking. If I absolutely need to drive I have a very flexible work schedule and can take time out of the day to run an errand. It just works for me.