Old 08-25-15, 06:28 AM
scott757

Bikes: Haro Objekt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthMonkey
Are you resting two days in a row every week or 2 non-consecutive days? How active are you on your off days? How do you feel after a 10 mile ride, are you wiped out or do you still have a little left? Are you trying to do some intervals as you ride? 10 miles isn't too short for intervals and they build speed and endurance faster than steady biking, but a combination of both seems best for most people.
My rest days change week to week based on how I feel. Generally it'll be Tues and Thurs or Wed and Thurs. I did 10 miles last night and felt pretty good. Other than the sore legs from the 18 miles the day before. I'm not doing intervals. I'm just trying to ride my best and speed up and slow down based on how I feel at the time.

Originally Posted by DarthMonkey
Good Diet advice has already been given here - myfintesspal and a scale will really help you understand what you are taking in. Stay as hydrated as you can handle, both riding and not-riding. Also make sure you eat some good protein and carb after any difficult workout longer than 30 minutes, but keep the size proportional to the work (ideally 20-40% of what you just burned). Difficult workout is based on how hard it is for you. Things like having to breathe heavy, getting a good sweat, etc are all good indicators. A small piece or jerky and a piece of fruit might be appropriate. The idea is to give your body protein to repair/grow muscle and keep blood amino acid high enough, and a little carb/sugar to replenish some of the glycogen. You want some glycogen replenishment to come from fat, but if it all does then your body responds by making you hungrier and that can lead to binge eating.
I use MyFitnessPal. It's helpful. I try and stay away from processed stuff and useless snacking. My struggle really comes later in the evening.