View Single Post
Old 08-25-15, 08:25 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
This Velo News article admirably discusses the dynamics of spoke unloading and reloading and then completely misses the point. They even discuss the effect of this unloading and reloading has on the spoke in this part

and then completely miss the implications of what happens and what to do to remedy the situation.

The snapping back of the tension on the spoke can damage the rim but, more importantly, it can damage the spoke which is a far more serious component to damage. The bend on the spoke at the elbow makes the spoke more vulnerable to breakage and ultimately failure.

I also take issue with their explanation of why double butted spokes should be used. The middle of a double butted spoke is elastic and does allow for the center section to stretch, particularly during the rebound phase of retensioning but the head of a double butted spoke is the same size as the head of a corresponding straight gauge spoke. In other words, a 2.0mm straight spoke has the same head as a 2.0/1.8/2.0 spoke with similar strength.

Finally, after discussing the dynamics of spokes, the article misses the forest for the trees and discusses hubs and rims and how to protect them while completely ignoring the third critical component. Spokes are far more important than to be left as an afterthought.
Hahaha!

Dude, you have to know how you sound trying to call the Tech Editor for VeloNews, Lennard Zinn, the same Zinn of Zinn Cycles, one of the premier builders of custom rides for clydes, to task for not understanding the "implications" of what he's saying. Ridiculous, would be the word that comes to my mind.

And not because Zinn is an infallible saint, which he ain't. But when he brings in respected industry pros to comment on the questions, as he does with Sawiris from Wheelbuilder in this case, and they back up his call, you gotta factor that in and ask the question, "who am I to argue?"

So, when it comes to "missing the forest for the trees," I think you'd make one damn good lumberjack, sir.