Old 08-26-15, 07:39 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wagonfanatic
Okay, interesting-- thats quite helpful.

I suppose my main concern is making sure the rest is not so deep-- so structural-- as to threaten to integrity and longevity of the frame. My father in-law suggested that when probing the rust, I should use a screwdriver to chip away to see what I'm dealing with. The problem is that this hardly seems acceptable behavior when just reviewing a bike frame to purchase!

Are there other suggestions for gauging the extent of the rust and the seriousness of the problem? I'm very interested in the frame if its only surface level and shallow rust.
Honestly, I would contact Surly and include the serial number of the frame.

That frame looks to have been stripped of paint and it's hard to imagine why a legit owner/seller would do that.

The paint/powder coat is the main form of rust protection on Surly frames.

The Traveler's Check frame is S and S coupled so you should be able to get a good look at the inside of the top and down tubes by uncoupling the couplers. There's no easier frame to FrameSaver than an S and S coupled frame and if that frame has external rust it most likely has even worse internal rust if it hasn't been properly FrameSavered at least once a year depending on the climate.