Old 08-26-15, 12:08 PM
argonavis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Group Buy on cables: Thoughts?

Hi,

I'm thinking of laying in a modest supply of shift & brake cables for my own wrenching, perhaps 25 of each, so that I no longer have to wince every time a cable needs to be replaced. I'm looking at mid-range cables, something along a die-drawn stainless variety in standard lengths. Since it simply isn't reasonable for me to do this at the typical single unit cost, I was considering buying a filebox of each, keeping what I need, and selling off the remainder at cost.

My thought was to go for some brand name -- Jagwire, SRAM, Shimano, Clarks -- in the hope that the brand would assure some basic level of quality, and help me get rid of the excess.

Clearly I'm not the first one to wander down this road, yet I've not stumbled across any opportunities to participate in some group buy. Am I missing something obvious? Why aren't a lot of folks doing this? For example, are the no-name Chinese cables on eBay reliable enough that they serve as a good source for others in my situation? Is there some venue on the interwebs where I can find an opportunity like this?

In short, am I crazy to think of doing this? Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

TIA.