Old 08-26-15, 03:46 PM
Mr Grinch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Earlier I posited the possibility of a rim blip. I hope they don't take a look and decide you for bottoming out the tire (if it is a rim blip).
The owner looked at the bike and replied that the brakes sometimes stick after a long rain, which is apparently what they had the week prior to my ride. Said they sanded the pads a little and solved the problem. I asked if he noticed a little lip on the pads, but no reply yet. This trail is paved with some interesting hills. I didn't come close to bottoming anything, and I ensured that the tires were filled to max pressure before I left. Both rims were out of true when I left, but nothing a typical renter would notice.

And just for reference. The brakes would lock hard onto the rim when I stopped. I could not release the brakes using the lever when this happened, and the brakes would lock in any position on the rim. I could roll a half a wheel turn and stop, causing another lock. The strange part was the behavior of the brake lever. You would think it would be depressed. The pads were pretty worn.

They are a great little shop for a quick ride in the Anchorage area, but they aren't a full service bike shop. There are a few places to rent up there, this one gets you on the road the quickest.

Oh well. Enough of this. If I find anything useful, I'll post it.