Old 08-27-15, 07:38 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
I don't argue this type of stuff because it isn't worth it. People have different opinions, so I offer mine and let readers decide.

Normally a hanger tool is preferred for a number of reasons, including simply being easier to get it aligned, and I usually reserve the hex key method for field use.

But the OP seems to have it aligned decently, or at last decently enough that the RD is shifting as well or better than before, and he is satisfied with the performance ---- which is what hanger alignment is about in the first place.

This brings us full circle to the "don't fix what ain't broke" rational. The bike works, so there's nothing to fix now.

As for the hanger being weakened by bending, it shouldn't be an issue for a single bend and straighten cycle (or even for a few). New hangers are routinely bent after installation because they don't automatically sit square when first bolted on, so they are made with a certain amount of ductility to allow bending (within limits).

As I said earlier, the only thing the OP did wrong was talk about it, which exposes him to all the hand wringing and tsk tsk commentary.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.