Old 08-27-15, 07:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by jargo432
I was looking at the Fuji about a year ago, in the end I decided on the DT. (built it myself) The thing that worried me was the wheel set. I'd heard a couple of stories about broken spokes. I looked at what it would cost to put a good wheel set on the Fuji and it brought it to the price of a DT.
What 'good wheel set' did you want to put on the Fuji?
Its $400+ difference between a Fuji and DT, right? And that's when the DT is purchased built. Building a bike up is typically even more, unless you go used or cheaper for components. I assume you used the nicer wheelset for the DT build?

I am a big guy, so I am told quite often, and the only wheel failure I have experienced is spokes having broken a couple times and I am pretty sure both times was just from age and use. I built some wheels over the winter for a sport-touring bike I use a lot. I built them and then took them into an LBS for them to perfect the wheels. I had built them so they rolled perfectly- they were as true as could be- but they needed to still be fine tuned to ensure they could hold me plus bike(255#) and gear on top of that.
$20 later, I had good quality wheels that were properly tensioned and rolled great- all for $150.

To each their own- not knocking your decision to get a DT. And building a bike up is awesome, it can be a lot of fun...or frustrating but rewarding and good nonetheless.
I just don't get being scared of wheelsets when they can be worked on and made great by professionals for relatively cheap if needed.